Friday, May 11, 2012

Opportunity Knocked...well Called

So I've done the phone interview.  I've went to the In Person Interview and on April 5, 2012 at approximately 9:45am, I received a phone call with good news from Teach Away.  I was offered an English Medium Teacher (EMT) position to teach in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates!  I was excited, a little scared, and somewhat in awe.  This was definitely what I needed, change, opportunity, and a fresh start.

Here are some of the questions that the interviewers asked during my phone interview and in person interview.

1. Why would I make a good candidate for teaching in Abu Dhabi?
2. What are my strengths as a teacher and how would they make me a good teacher for Abu Dhabi?
3. What is one example of a difficult challenge I faced with a student(s) and how did I overcome it?
4. What classroom teaching strategies/methods/approaches do I use in the classroom?
5. How might I deal with a classroom of students with low English proficiency to high proficiency?
6. What strategies do I use to ensure I know all students are learning?
7. Why do I want to teach in the Middle East/Abu Dhabi/abroad?
8. How do I manage problem behavior, and how do I prevent it?
9. What is my teaching philosophy?
10. What experiences do I have that would make me an effective teacher in Abu Dhabi?
11. What would your classroom look like?
12. How would you know students are learning?
13. How would you teach when students do not know English?
14. What is your worst experience with an administrator and how did you handle it?
15. What would a day in your classroom be like? Describe it in detail.


Later on in April, EMTs were told to have documents legalized by May 15.  I had my plan in place and a schedule set to send my documents to the delivery company recommended by Teach Away.  However, a few days later, Teach Away told us the new deadline was May 9!  What the hell!?  We've been forewarned that changes such as this are common in Abu Dhabi so don't stress or sweat it.  Roll with the punches and go with the flow.  This way you can keep your sanity and fare well in the richest city in the world.  So I'm scrambling like a mouse with a hungry mean cat behind me.  I get my paperwork sent off and I exhale.  Thirteen days later, my legalized documents return to me with the signature of the United States Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton.  Thanks Hillie!


No comments:

Post a Comment